Welcome to Flyfishing Vancouver Island BC | Single Spey Flyfishing Adventures | www.BCFlyGuide.com

Thanks for viewing my first blog. For more info about my guide service view www.bcflyguide.com or if you have questions about flyfishing Vancouver Island in general please feel free to ask. This site's all about Flyfishing Vancouver Island with some great pictures from guided & personal fishing trips, new flies I'm tying, whats new & all that other good stuff related to casting a fly on island waters! Flyfishing, guiding and my passion for this sport is always growing. I hope this blog will assist those of you in keeping up on what I'm up to here, and why I think Vancouver Island BC is so under rated for it's Flyfishing opportunities. Thanks for visiting and come again, regards.

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Where Wolves Stalk Elk


Trout fishing is in full force here on the Island. Some of the higher lakes have not quite come on but there's plenty of fishing to be had otherwise. We fished the Elk River the other day, caught some nice Rainbows skating small Dry Flies. These aggressive little rainbows which have come up the river from upper Campbell Lake 12 - 14inches on average and are allot of fun on a light rod. what's better about this fishery is the environment it's in! The scenery's spectacular & the wildlife abundant. In times past I have never encountered any wildlife while being on this river although I have seen the evidence of Elk, bear etc.. The other day we were walking up the river and I asked my friend if he ever see's any wildlife while fishing there. Yes he said, then went on about his experience a couple of weeks ago floating the Salmon River. As he was floating he encountered a Bear on top of a dead Elk. We then discussed what may have killed the Elk with the possibility of it being the Bear, Wolves or just poor health. Not more than 5 minutes later I spotted an Elk along the river bank upstream with a Wolf circling it. The wolf almost seemed playful with the Elk although you cold see the Elk was not enjoying itself. It's not often you get to see Wolves on the island although I know there population is healthy. We may have saved the Elk as the Wolf got wind of us & our dogs and took off! Another great day on a beauty river which once again defines flyfishing for me. It gives you reason to spend allot of time in incredible places, which results in very cool experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment