Welcome to Flyfishing Vancouver Island BC | Single Spey Flyfishing Adventures | www.BCFlyGuide.com

Thanks for viewing my first blog. For more info about my guide service view www.bcflyguide.com or if you have questions about flyfishing Vancouver Island in general please feel free to ask. This site's all about Flyfishing Vancouver Island with some great pictures from guided & personal fishing trips, new flies I'm tying, whats new & all that other good stuff related to casting a fly on island waters! Flyfishing, guiding and my passion for this sport is always growing. I hope this blog will assist those of you in keeping up on what I'm up to here, and why I think Vancouver Island BC is so under rated for it's Flyfishing opportunities. Thanks for visiting and come again, regards.

Monday, June 1, 2009

Fly Of The Week


This Olive Space Invader did me well this past winter/Spring Steelhead season. This Tube Fly has a Rivet Head on it which adds action to the fly and keep its profile wider when swimming against the current. I'm not overly fond of the rivet head & usually tie these flies with lead eyes. I recommend only fishing a rivet head in slow to medium current, as flies with rivets on them are hard to lift out of the water on the pick up! A well tied & presented fly has all the action it needs to entice any Steelhead I've encountered! I have to say I have overlooked olive for winter fishing over the years but this season it proved to be an awesome choice, I had one particular fish follow & bump it for 15ft on the pick up at the end of the swing before hammering it. Consider this color while fishing any fairly clear water conditions which our Island rivers usually are. If nothing else fishing a fly this color will be a different offering than the usual Pink, hot orange, & purple flies & gear used for winter steelhead fishing. I am well stocked with this color all the time now!

No comments:

Post a Comment