Welcome to Flyfishing Vancouver Island BC | Single Spey Flyfishing Adventures | www.BCFlyGuide.com

Thanks for viewing my first blog. For more info about my guide service view www.bcflyguide.com or if you have questions about flyfishing Vancouver Island in general please feel free to ask. This site's all about Flyfishing Vancouver Island with some great pictures from guided & personal fishing trips, new flies I'm tying, whats new & all that other good stuff related to casting a fly on island waters! Flyfishing, guiding and my passion for this sport is always growing. I hope this blog will assist those of you in keeping up on what I'm up to here, and why I think Vancouver Island BC is so under rated for it's Flyfishing opportunities. Thanks for visiting and come again, regards.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Vancouver Island River Fishing Conditions

Well I don't have much to say about the fishing this week, it's been a washout for the most part on our watersheds, they're really shedding! Many anglers I know get discouraged when this happens & many of them feel it's altogether no good for our fisheries. Some of the pools they've come accustomed to may not be the same after a huge run off. In the last 3 days I've watched allot of wood come floating past the house here which has floated mostly out of the Quinsam River. The Quinsam is a river that used to have some great holding water to fish below the Hatchery but over the years it's diminished to barely a reflection of what it once was. On some of the rivers I've guided along the coast over the years I've seen washouts improve & reclaim some good water that once was so as discouraging as times are when rivers a too high to fish there is at times light at the end of the tunnel for improved fishing opportunities. I can think of many places where I float rivers that have log jams that may be gone now making it a more user friendly environment. New Pools that were ok before may be just right to hold that Steelhead just in the right fly water too! At the end of all this nature has it's ways for sure & not all is lost when changes are made. For those river fisherman that can read water well it opens up new water to explore on a beat of river that they may have fished their whole lives. One things for sure, the river has been deeply cleansed & now there's new fish in the watershed to hunt, & maybe the little quinsam river will have some new pools to fish with some fresh Winter Steelhead:)

No comments:

Post a Comment