Welcome to Flyfishing Vancouver Island BC | Single Spey Flyfishing Adventures | www.BCFlyGuide.com

Thanks for viewing my first blog. For more info about my guide service view www.bcflyguide.com or if you have questions about flyfishing Vancouver Island in general please feel free to ask. This site's all about Flyfishing Vancouver Island with some great pictures from guided & personal fishing trips, new flies I'm tying, whats new & all that other good stuff related to casting a fly on island waters! Flyfishing, guiding and my passion for this sport is always growing. I hope this blog will assist those of you in keeping up on what I'm up to here, and why I think Vancouver Island BC is so under rated for it's Flyfishing opportunities. Thanks for visiting and come again, regards.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Vancouver Island Winter Steelhead update 2010


 Small Steelhead eat big bugs too! When fishing the other day we found a couple of fresh steelhead in the river that were hot for our flies! This fish was the smaller of the two but put up a good scrapon a beauty day on the water, the first of 2010... You can see my 2 man Kayak in the background which works great for jumping into hard to access runs without commiting to a whole day float. One thing to consider when you arrive to a favored pool and the side you would automatically fish is occupied, try fishing from the difficult side! Years ago I arrived at a run that I always fished from river right. It was the soft flowing shallow side of the run which is where 99% of all anglers would automatically fish when they got there! There was a guy fishing it from the faster flowing side where the main current was, on the deeper  more tough part to cast & wade. After talking to this fellow I gave the senario some thought. Why wouldn't I consider fishing from that side, it was wadable, and with a 2 handed rod you could make it work to fish water that realistically you never covered before from river right. The other day when we arrived to a particular run there was a guy fishing the obvious side which he had made quite an effort to cross the river to do. With this run being as large as it is I had no problem fishing the tough side while he was there, it wouldn't be intruding by any means on his fishing or water. Besides he did sort of jump us to the pool when he seen we were floating down in the head of the run and started fishing it mid way down... I decided to float my boat to the other side down under the trees and started in with minimal room to cast comfortably but good enough. Within 10 nimutes I was into a great fish about 8 lbs which leaped out of the water 2 or 3 times putting up a good scrap! This wasn't the first time I have caught a fish there but it's amazing how people get into a routine of reading water a certain way, this I think can lead to repetitive fishing and sometimes disillusion of how good the fishing is! What if everyone thought the same and you arrived on that pool late in the day after it had been fished at least once. Yes Steelhead move around often but how many fish get pushed to the other side of the river after the pools been waded & torn up by an angler or two! Food for thought and yes the grass is sometimes greener on the other side:) A great saying I have stuck by for many years guiding, Steelhead are where you find them! Happy New Year

No comments:

Post a Comment