Welcome to Flyfishing Vancouver Island BC | Single Spey Flyfishing Adventures | www.BCFlyGuide.com

Thanks for viewing my first blog. For more info about my guide service view www.bcflyguide.com or if you have questions about flyfishing Vancouver Island in general please feel free to ask. This site's all about Flyfishing Vancouver Island with some great pictures from guided & personal fishing trips, new flies I'm tying, whats new & all that other good stuff related to casting a fly on island waters! Flyfishing, guiding and my passion for this sport is always growing. I hope this blog will assist those of you in keeping up on what I'm up to here, and why I think Vancouver Island BC is so under rated for it's Flyfishing opportunities. Thanks for visiting and come again, regards.

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Winter Steelhead Vancouver Island Feb 09 (historic fishing addition)


The Creek Run in low water. This picture is of a  Winter Steelhead hooked late Feb 09 on a floating line, weighted Slip Stream (which was featured on one of the first posts of this blog). Low clear water & sunny days are the choice times to fish this fly! My Buddy Ken in the picture who has lived in Calgary for the past 10yrs had forgotten the pleasures and rewards of this fishery until we made it out this particular day. It's the classic Vancouver Island Winter Steelead that makes us anxious to be wading through cold rivers in winter months. My favored way to fish cold low waters is with a floating line, 12ft of straight 10lb test mono with a loop knot attached to a weighted fly. This season we've had huge water of which I presume is related to an El-Nino year, the first year we've had effects from it in several. Rivers here are large and have been in recent weeks mostly unfishable! It's been a Sink tip / weight fly combo for may of this seasons outings. Good thing for 2 handed rods.Well I'm getting ready for a good week of fishing ahead, the rivers are shaping up and the time couldn't be better. The flooding rivers have givin me time to focus on other things I guess like the purchase of what will be my new Jet boat ready to test out in a week or so, Just can't wait to start getting on some remote waters for exploration dates over the next few months. Too much water, too little time!

No comments:

Post a Comment