Welcome to Flyfishing Vancouver Island BC | Single Spey Flyfishing Adventures | www.BCFlyGuide.com

Thanks for viewing my first blog. For more info about my guide service view www.bcflyguide.com or if you have questions about flyfishing Vancouver Island in general please feel free to ask. This site's all about Flyfishing Vancouver Island with some great pictures from guided & personal fishing trips, new flies I'm tying, whats new & all that other good stuff related to casting a fly on island waters! Flyfishing, guiding and my passion for this sport is always growing. I hope this blog will assist those of you in keeping up on what I'm up to here, and why I think Vancouver Island BC is so under rated for it's Flyfishing opportunities. Thanks for visiting and come again, regards.

Friday, September 10, 2010

Worm fly!

This worm fly has been one of my favorites over the last two winters... My main attraction to this pattern over bunny leaches was it's glowing translucent looks, much like a real worm in the water, almost see though but with an added glow! A friend showed a version of this pattern which I have slightly modified. This is a pattern that was originally tied on a short shank with a stinger hook several inches back from the shank! The majority of the body was wrapped around the fishing line used to attach the stinger hook... I have recently found some thin & very flexible tubing that is also quite durable which when I found this tubing I had this fly in mind....  Tying this fly the other way was a pain in the butt! It was timely and really not a pretty result. Today I fished on the lower Campbell tempting some Chinook to the fly on the only run I personally know of that they may actually eat the fly in all of the Campbell River... No I didn't even try this pattern but rather a large bait pattern, red & black with a lot of flash. I did hook two fish, one fight was short lived and the other pulled my arm off for a while and then let go! I often feel fishing these big brutes is non-sense anyhow but occasionally I like to give it a go! After fishing I tied on the new version of the worm fly to test it's durability and see how it looked in the water, I was pleased with the results! I think I'm on to some new tubing and a better pattern overall:) Watch out Winter Steelies!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment