Welcome to Flyfishing Vancouver Island BC | Single Spey Flyfishing Adventures | www.BCFlyGuide.com

Thanks for viewing my first blog. For more info about my guide service view www.bcflyguide.com or if you have questions about flyfishing Vancouver Island in general please feel free to ask. This site's all about Flyfishing Vancouver Island with some great pictures from guided & personal fishing trips, new flies I'm tying, whats new & all that other good stuff related to casting a fly on island waters! Flyfishing, guiding and my passion for this sport is always growing. I hope this blog will assist those of you in keeping up on what I'm up to here, and why I think Vancouver Island BC is so under rated for it's Flyfishing opportunities. Thanks for visiting and come again, regards.

Friday, November 12, 2010

Meeting in the middle! Spey Flies tube style...

 After writing the last post I was slightly torn about my spey fly comments... I do love Spey Style flies and the simplicity of them. I think when they were originally tied they were the more practical patterns of their time! What most attracted me to Spey Flies was their slender profile and long hackles that came to life when fished. The hooks they were tied on were very cool to look at but not overly great to fish! They were also expensive and being a long shank hook didn't help with good hook-ups...
 I think In the past I had dabbled with tying these patterns on tubes but never was excited with the results. First off was because of the tubing I tied them on, your typical 1/8th tubing which by the time you wrapped a body over the tube made the Spey Pattern too bulky; in my opinion when all was said and done lost the fly lost it's slender profile which makes these patterns attractive... I tied one up today on my flex tubing, the tubing i use for my worm patterns and I think it turned out nice. The tubing is as skinny as it gets which helped to start. I compromised the spey fly rules a little to make this fly more practical for fishing by adding a tungsten cone head to it. This pattern will now get you to the fish when fishing large winter rivers and deep water. Now it's time to put the Tube Spey Fly to the test!

No comments:

Post a Comment